|Arrival to Salerno||Salerno|
|Stage 1||6: 00h||815m||983m||11,5 km||Maiori|
|Stage 2||3: 30h to Amalfi /|
4: 30h to Pogerola
|to Amalfi: 500m|
to Pogerola: 800m
|to Amalfi: 500m|
to Pogerola: 500m
|7,5 km to Amalfi /|
9,7 km to Pogerola
|Amalfi or Pogerola|
|Stage 3||from Amalfi: 4: 00h |
from Pogerola: 4: 30h
|from Amalfi: 950m|
from Pogerola: 950m
| from Amalfi: 320m|
from Pogerola: 620m
|Stage 4||3: 45h||350m||840m||10 km||Positano or Colli S. Pietro|
|Additionally possible: |
Detour to Monte Vico Alvano
|2: 00h||320m||320m||5 km|
|Stage 5||5: 00h||460m||500m||12 km||Schiazzano|
|Stage 6||long variant: 5: 15h|
short variant: 3: 45h
|long variant: 685m|
short variant: 445m
|long variant: 955m|
short variant: 720m
|long variant: |
|Sorrento or alternatively again in |
|Total (longest variant)||31: 00h||4.380m||4.718m||74 km in the longest variant|
By the way, we have created a convenient and clear planning aid for travel planning and booking accommodation: to the planning table.
From Salerno to Sorrento in 6 daily stages
Although the Amalfi Coast has been one of the most popular travel destinations in Italy for decades and is also ideal for hiking holidays, most Amalfi holidaymakers with a thirst for hiking are surprisingly almost exclusively half-day and day hikes on the program. Multi-day hikes from place to place on the Amalfi Coast? Maybe even the entire coast from Salerno to Sorrento on foot? Even local hiking guides were amazed when we told about our planned route. But they found that as well as we did a very good idea!
What the Amalfi Coast lacks in comparison to other hiking areas is perhaps a real draft horse of the caliber of a European long-distance hiking trail. Although the CAI-300 is a large hiking trail of the Italian Alpine Club that crosses the entire Amalfi coast from east to west, the hiking trail is neither particularly well known nor is the official route carefully chosen, as it drags far too far into the hinterland in some places.
From our point of view, we made the best of it: A skilful mix of CAI-300 and its byways leads us in six daily stages from Salerno to Sorrento - including arrival and departure very well suited for a 8 day vacation!
The route in brief
On the day of arrival we spend the night in the pretty and attractive town of Salerno, which can be reached very well by train from Naples (see Getting there). The start of the hike is a few kilometers or a short bus ride west of Salerno (see Stage 1).
From here you can continue on foot for the next few days. It is only at the end of stage 4 that we drive a short distance from Positano again: This is because this part of the coast is very steep and rocky, so there is no really recommendable route from Positano to the west. According to the map, there is said to be a section of the CAI-800 hiking trail at approx. 300 meters above Positano, but we tried unsuccessfully to find this trail for two hours during our hike in May 2016. Therefore: bus trip from Positano to Colli S. Pietro!
In Colli S. Pietro there is - as "compensation" for the route bridged by bus - a great short hike that, depending on your condition and weather, can either be inserted in the afternoon directly after stage 4 or in the morning before stage 5 ( please refer Hike to Monte Vico Alvano).
Stage 6 leads with a shorter and a longer variant over the Punta Campanella to Sorrento (see Departure).
shorter variants possible: departure after stage 4, 5 or 6
6 days should be scheduled for all 8 stages, including arrival and departure days. If you have a little less time, you can shorten the following points:
- Departure after stage 4: the proposed bus from Positano continues via Colli S. Pietro to Sorrento. From there you are at the airport of Naples within two hours.
- Departure after stage 4 with morning hike to "Monte Vico Alvano": After stage 4 stay near the bus stop "Colli S. Pietro", but take the relatively short hike to "Monte Vico Alvano" with you on the morning of your departure. Departure: bus trip from the "Colli S. Pietro" to Sorrento.
- Departure after stage 5: There are (a few) bus connections to Sorrento from Schiazzano, but it is always possible to take a taxi to Sorrento (ask at the hotel or one of the restaurants).
- Departure with shortened stage 6: The shortest variant of stage 6 is as follows: Schiazzano - Termini - white chapel Chiesa San Costanzo - short stretch on the CAI 300 towards Punta Campanella - back to Termini, from there by bus to Sorrento.
longer versions: extra tours for connoisseurs
If you can or would like to take a little more time, the following extensions are available:
- 2 overnight stays in Bomerano: If you spend two nights in a row in Bomerano, you can take an extra tour to one of the peaks of the so-called "milk mountains" - Italian "Monti Lattari" - (half-day hike). When the weather is good, you have a wonderful view of the Gulf of Naples, Vesuvius and the Amalfi Coast from approx. 1.300 m.
- additional days of rest in Schiazzano: From our point of view, the hotel we recommended in Schiazzano is definitely worth a longer stay (Hotel Casa Lubra Relax).